Re: [LAU] How to build or from where to get a Low-Latency-Kernel Source

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 09:32:41 EEST

CC-Band wrote:

> i want to get a low-latency-kernel-source to mod it like i want.
> what do i need (which source / which patches / which version / which config)
> or where can i get a kernel-source where low-latency is implemented?

Assuming you have a running linux system and you know how to compile a
kernel here's what you could do:

1) Get the latest patch here (put it in /usr/src/):
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
I'd go for
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.24.4-rt4.bz2

2) Get the matching kernel source (so for the above patch you need
2.6.24.4) at kernel.org and put it in /usr/src/. Also make a symlink
from /usr/src/linux to your source

3) Apply the patch with:
cd /usr/src/linux
patch --dry-run -p1 < ../patch-2.6.24.4-rt4
The above command (with --dry-run) doesn't apply anything, just reports
what will be done. So if you don't get any errors (and you shouldn't)
you run it again without "--dry-run":
patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.24.4-rt4

4) Copy the latest working .config into /usr/src/linux, on debian/ubuntu
it can be found in /boot/config-KERNEL-VERSION.

5) Configure your kernel with "make gconfig" (that's what I prefer). It
needs some gtk-devel packages installed, I always forget which, but
google knows.

6) Compile + reboot + make music :-)

--
peace, love & harmony