Re: [LAU] LittleGPTracker

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 04:25:10 EEST

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:28:08PM +0200, M-.-n wrote:

> Hi Atte,
>
> > Very, very nice!
>
> Thanks :)
>
> > I've only worked a bit with trackers, but I'm wondering how much you're
> > affecting the songs at performance? I guess it's not "just" playback,
> > but could you tell a bit about what realtime control you do?
>

> The control you have live is at the moment mainly related to re-sequencing.
> You have to remember this is running on a game console like this:
>
> http://images.gamedev.net/features/reviews/gp2x/image009.jpg
>
> So there's definetly no real time 'playing' possible. But unlike traditional
> trackers, the 8 channels are not sync'ed so you can have fun
> de/re-structuring at will, depending on your mood. see it a bit like the
> clip based structure of ableton live. You can trigger/mute/solo any channel
> at any given time. I personally like some kind of structure so I do have a
> pretty 'hardwired' song scheme where I can more repeat sections at will
> rather than re-shuffle the whole thing.
>
> Soundwise, you can also affect the result while it's playing but depending
> whether or not you used a lot of command (that's how tracker do their
> 'synthesis') you might have a limited amount of option (obviously, if you
> 'automate' the filter to get some grain, you won't be able to tweak it
> live). I still haven't coded channel/master FX and that will give a lot more
> freedom in altering the 'sound' during live performance. Obviously, with the
> limited amount of button, playing live melodies is always going to be an
> issue but I even hope to find a workaround for that.
>
> Although still in its infancy (It's only 3 years old and I probably have for
> about two years of coding only with the feature set I have in mind at the
> moment) , it does allow quite a lot of sonic flexibility and in my
> (father's) eyes, nothing beats it for being able to compose music at any
> time, any place :)

Wow. That is a great set! Very much enjoyed it-- an enjoyable journey through several different styles and vibes.

Are the synth sounds generated by your tracker software, or does it play samples or trigger other synths? (Sorry for the dumb question; I've never used a tracker before).

What synths are generating those sounds? There are some really nice timbres in there, and some great drum sounds too.

-ken