Re: [LAU] qjackctl patchbay

From: schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 12:42:14 EEST

M-.-n wrote:
> Documentation is the thoughest part of releasing "homebrew" code IMHO.
> I'm lucky to have a bunch of entousiastic helping me keeping a wiki up
> to date. Also, for the getting started (my tracker definetly needs
> that), we've decided to use screencasts, which is going to be nice.
> Trashy test sample here:
>
> http://www.10pm.org/nostromo/temp/piggygotjynxed.swf
>
> It's reaaallly easy to do (at least under windows), it's not utube
> garbage, and the fact of being able to record audio explaining what you
> do is the best thing ever. Of course, it doesn't prevent from needing a
> reference manual but it makes part of the explanation a lot easier.
>
> Possibly a similar application must exist for linux
>
> Regards,
> Marc
>
> Malte Steiner a écrit :
>
>> Documentation is good and honourable for programmers. One reason the QT
>> library is adopted so often is the well done documentation. And I hold
>> back the release of my softwaresynthesizer 'Minicomputer' until I wrote
>> a manual.

This are real good examples of how it can be. Put some discipline in the
project to state that a release is only with good documentation... and
otherwise hold it back for a while.

And I think there are always a couple of people who really finds your
app useful and it must be possible to write a good documentation with
the help of them. In my experience there are a lot of people who likes
to contribute (by helping with the documentation) to a project they like.

I think the apps with a good documentation, publicity and good user
experiences will make more change to survive in the world of linux
audio. Haven't we human beings not come so far (technically spoken) by
good cooperation?

Good luck!

Dirk