Re: [LAU] qjackctl patchbay

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 02:27:15 EEST

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:59:50PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> problem 1 is an old one and is due on lack of a better mapping algorithm
> between actual jack graph and qjackctl patchbay models:
>
> - jack graph is represented by connecting nodes which are the actual
> individual ports;
>
> - qjackctl patchbay is represented by nodes (sockets), which aggregates an
> ordered set of ports (plugs), intentionally connectible in turn, when
> actively available.

The 'ordered set' seems to follow different rules than the
ordering of ports in the main display. A similar thing
happens if you select two apps expecting that connections
will be made in the order they are displayed - usually
it's different.

Whatever the model, I assume it can represent an arbitrary set of
connections. If not it's a wrong model. If it can, why doesn't
that happen when you make a snapshot ? What is the purpose of
making *other* connections ?

> the other two problems (2+3) are somewhat moot imho. yes, you'll always
> have to save the patchbay profile, so what?

A collection of useless files that have to be deleted.
I like to keep my home dir clean (the junk yards are at
deeper levels). If you could at least save to an existing
file the pile wouldn't grow so fast. Imagine that emacs
wouldn't allow you overwrite a file...

As far as I can see there is no technical reason why a
patchbay should saved before it can be active. Nor is
there any good reason to impose this rule.

> all suggestions are welcome,

I have three:

1. Snapshot = exact copy of existing connections.
2. 'Current' patchbay exists without being saved.
3. Allow overwriting files.

I imagine that 2+3 would actually simplify the code.

Ciao,

--
FA
Parma, Italia