Re: [LAU] qjackctl patchbay

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 14:43:19 EEST

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 4:13 AM, schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > schoappied wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>

> >> I have trouble with apps who only show up in jack connections when
> >> they start to play, eg VLC, audacity...
> >>
> >> I'm not able to save the settings in the patchbay and make it
> active....
> >>

> > that's just because those apps only open as jack clients when play is
> > hit.
> I've tried alsaplayer and that app seems to show up directly in qjackctl
> and patchage (or it will stay as a jack client when the song in the
> player has come to an end.)
> So it must be possible for other apps (audacity, rezound, vlc) too,
> isn't it?
> _

I think this is because, when your app is using oss or alsa, the friendly
thing to do is to stop using the sound card (since using the sound card
blocks other applications that would like to use it), and it is easier to
plug in your calls to the jack api in the same place as the oss or alsa api
calls, than it is to change your connection/disconnection policy based on
api.