Re: [LAU] controlling dssi parameters from keyboard?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 20:14:28 EEST

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:37:17AM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently using the excellent whysynth with ghostess. Does
> anyone know of a way I can assign different midi controllers to
> different parameters for real-time editing? I am also trying to
> work out the most efficient way to do a keyboard-split? I guess
> running 2 instances of ghostess might be the best.

jack-dssi-host uses OSC to communicate between the GUI and the synth. I assume Ghostess does too.

I wrote a custom Python script, using the "alsaseq" class, to translate MIDI CC's to OSC in order to control NekoString via my MIDI controller.

I have been wanting to do the same for WhySynth but I haven't made the time to hack it up yet. There's a lot of knobs and buttons on WhySynth-- more than I have available on my controller! The hard part will be deciding which ones to map, and that's what's been stalling the project.

I happen to like Python, but I suppose one could use PD and the mrpeach OSC externals to do this too, or actually any language that has ALSA or JACK MIDI and OSC/liblo bindings.

-ken