Re: [LAU] OT: Portable Keyboard

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 12:29:32 EEST

> James Stone wrote:
> > I thought the korg X50 looks quite nice.. I am considering getting
> > one, although I don't think the keyboard will be much of an upgrade
> > over the Evolution.. I think the built in sounds are pretty amazing
> > though.
>
> I really like the look of that. But at 450 pounds it's still somewhat
> over my budget.
>
> Cue everyone rolling their eyes and thinking to themselves "you can't
> have everything and get it cheap". But in all seriousness I shouldn't
> have to be looking at expensive high end gear to get what I want. The
> perfect solution would be a consumer grade keyboard, but with line-out
> added (there's no way that's hard or expensive), and different
> proportions. I'm not really asking them to cram stuff into less space
> (though I *know* there's no need for them to be that size). Just change
> the proportions.

I think I may have found just the thing: The xiosynth from Novation. I
think you can get it for around £190 new (4 octave version). It does
analogue modeling, and apparently also has some sampled sounds. In the
end I bought a second hand yamaha an-1x which has a very nice solidly
built keyboard - 5 octaves with aftertouch , and good (analogue
modeled) sounds. I paid £210 for it.

James