Re: [LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 20:36:36 EEST

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > On Friday 02 May 2008, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >
> > Be earthed, greetling!
> >
> >> After another quarantine period, I am pleased to announce (yet) another
> >> maintenance release of my flag-ship toy, Qtractor, an Audio/MIDI
> >> multi-track "bedroom" sequencer for the techno-boy (and girl:).
> >
> > Heh, i'm not techno but i still like how QTractor is coming along :)
> >
> >> - Drifting correction among audio and MIDI engines is now back,
> >> but avoided while recording or should it be while looping?
> >> (EXPERIMENTAL REGRESSION)
> >
> > Hi, does this fix the issue that when i record to my previously recorded
> > material the newly recorded material does not line up with the previously
> > recorded material although i play totally in time?
> >
> > Ah well, gonna check it out anyways. The feature is called latency
> > compensation in ardour and is a must have for any digital recorder IMHO..
> >
> > Just up the buffer size in jackd to like 2048 and record two tracks with
> > yourself clapping and try to get them in sync :) While you might succeed to
> > clap in sync to the previously recorded track (unless you're seriously rhythm
> > impaired) they will not sound in sync when it comes to playing them back..
> >

> that's currently one shortcoming of qtractor: there's no latency
> compensation mechanism yet... uhoh
>
> the above issue regards to drifting between the jack engine (which is
> master fwiw) and the alsa-seq midi queue. it used to get really
> noticeable when looping audio *and* midi material for long periods
>
> byee
> --
> rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Rui,
   I somehow missed this announcement the first time it came out or
didn't pay enough attention. So you've managed to get pitch shifting
into a Linux-based loop player?!?! Exciting. I've been waiting for
this since 1999! I'll have to give qtractor a serious look?

   The power of the commercial progs like Acid Pro, Ableton, FL, etc.,
is that I can drop in loops and they are automatically set to the
tempo of the session. Does qtractor do this? If I have loops recorded
at 136BPM and I'm doing a 119BPM session is the default pitch as
recorded and the default tempo 119?

Thanks,
Mark