Re: [LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 23:18:35 EEST

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
<SNIP>

> hmmm, not that automagic as you say :)
>
> first, pitch-shifting has nothing to do with tempo. time-stretching does.

Agreed.

> time-stretching has been around in qtractor since,... erm, last previous
> release ;)
>
> however, you now get the option to choose between rubberband
> time-stretching (which is high quality, sonic-wise) and plain wsola-based
> soundtouch which is pretty damn fast but lousy on not-so-extreme stretch
> factors.
>
> the automatic thing, if you choose to call it that way, is that you can
> apply time-streching to all audio clips as soon you change the (global)
> session tempo

Ah, OK, I'll try to pay attention to that. Need to get the latest
version built and spend some time with it.

> otherwise, you can adjust the tempo of each audio clip by dragging the
> edges to proportion, by pressing the shift/control key while pressing the
> mouse left button (without that, you'll be just changing the clip length,
> not its tempo character, got it?)

Ah, OK. That's a bit different than the default in Acid Pro but I'm
sure it's completely reasonable once you get used to it.

For info only - Acid Pro automatically adjusts the tempo of every loop
making an assumption that every loop used in a session should conform
to the tempo of the session. This is sensible (to me anyway) because
99.999% of the time I want my drums and guitars to be in sync no
matter what tempo a specific the loop was recorded at. So, for at
least the basic work flow the only thing you deal with by hand is
pitch.

As for edge dragging, in Acid this allows you to play a portion of a
loop. If I place a loop in a session the tempo is adjusted
automatically and I hear the whole loop. If I drag the left edge to
the right I lose the front part of the loop. If I drag the right edge
to the left I lose the last part of the loop. There are ways to drag
the loop to an out-of-sync point if you want but I don't use it much,
really only for beat slicing where they have better tools in the
editor.

> you see, all that depends on the current session tempo and on each audio
> clip length, and else, while editing the clip (Edit/Clip/Edit) you can
> subvert all that as real (wo)man :)
>
> gosh. i'm terrible with english :(

Far better than I with Portuguese, my friend!

A sia saide,
Mark

(If I got that wrong blame the Internet. I hope that meant cheers!)