Re: [LAU] [OT] need advice re: Windows registry cleaners (majorly OT)

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 16:33:41 EEST

On Saturday 03 May 2008 14:16, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Wow, another flood of helpful information. You guys truly rock, and I
> thank you all sincerely for your input.
>
> I think Ivy's resigned herself to re-installing the system (XP). We'll
> do a backup of her files this evening, then I want to try the Hijacker
> (sp?) stuff to see just what's crawling around in the registry. After
> that I plan to re-install. What a solution... :-/
>
> I love my Linux systems. :)
>
> Thanks again to everyone who responded, you've all been a great help.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi Dave. Even though I've still got XP on a drive, I don't use it any longer,
but when I did, I installed a program named Process Guard, which prevents
things being installed unless you specifically allow it. See the link below
for where you get it from.
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

I had no problems with updating 3rd party security apps while it was up and
protecting the system, except for Zone Alarm updates, where I had to
temporarily disable it, so that the firewall updated properly. As XP is soon
to come lose it's security support from MS, I expect that Zone Alarm too will
cease providing updates, as I found out on my ME install, when MS dropped it.

Nigel.

btw: I've now got Qtractor built on Archlinux, thanks to a patch that Rui sent
to me, that allows using gcc 4.3, which was the problem causing make to fail.
I'm currently playing around with it.