Re: [LAU] [Fwd: Re: Master volume control for M-Audio 2496?]

From: Anders Dahnielson <anders@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 02:50:44 EEST

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> That's it, the master monitor level, it's what is used for the digital
> mix (which is what is used for being able to monitor what is being
> recorded while listening to audio that has been recorded. What is he's
> trying to do? For applications that only use stereo out, channel 1 and
> channel 2 would be used as the volume for the application (although
> typically the application would have its own volume control, which is
> usually controls what 2 outs you have mapped to the card).
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > And my friend tried envy24control and reported this:
> >
> > "I installed alsa-tools-gui, and the envy24control tool was impressive,
> > but had no master volume control, whether in digital mixer mode, or
> not.
> > It has a master monitor mode, but no master volume."
> >
> > R Dicaire wrote:
> > > envy24control is the m-audio mixer, have him check his distros
> > > repository for it, it might be part of a package called
> alsa-tools-gui
> > > (debian, and possibly ubuntu).

> using
> for
> alsamixer
> control
> >
> > Brett McCoy wrote:
> > > Use the envy24control tool (it's designed specifically for the
> M-Audio
> > > Audiophile and Delta interfaces), it has volume controls for all of
> > > the channels plus a master volume if you are in digital mixer mode.

Step by step instructions:

1) Open envy24control.

2) Switch to the "Patchbay / Router" tab.

3) Select "Digital Mix L" in the "H/W Out 1 (L)" channel strip and "Digital
Mix R" in the "H/W Out 2 (R)" strip.

4) Switch to the "Monitor PCMs" tab.

5) "L/R Gang", rise the fader and unmute "Left" and "Right" in both the "PCM
Out 1" and "PCM Out 2" channel strip.

The "Digital Mix" setting will mix down all PCMs to a stereo pair and
output it on H/W Out 1 and 2.

You should now have sound, but at a much lower level than when you had "PCM
Out 1" and "PCM Out 2" selected in the "Patchbay / Router", so you might
want to raise the volume output level in the application that is supposed to
make some sound.

--
Anders Dahnielson
<anders@email-addr-hidden>