Re: [LAU] Ideas for LV2

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 21:02:04 EEST

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:09:58PM +0200, Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> > Actually, the host wouldn't have to deal with it at all (though it would
> > probably be nicer to have it in the host than in every plugin that
> > needed it). My ancient oscilloscope DSSI plugin uses shared memory
> > between the plugin and GUI, and the host has no idea about it.
>
> OK thanks, that's nice ... but then every plugin, which does not use
> this technique, has to be rewritten for non-GTK hosts ...
>
> So I have a wish ;) :
> It would be nice to have a class for that in the lv2-c++-tools package,
> so that a plugin developer can just inherit this class and everything
> else is done automatically !

I dunno. I'm pretty suspicious of toolkits and API's that try to do "everything" automatically.

LV2 seems pretty well-defined to me so far. I'd hope it doesn't try to do "everything".

I used an LV2 synth for a year (the old LV2 AZR3 in Elven host), live, in production use, with excellent results, so from my standpoint it seems very promising.

-ken