[LAU] pd, linux, graphics hardware.

From: naysayer <gateswideopen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 09 2008 - 08:05:30 EEST

hey crew.

i know this is a really boring topic but i'm in that horrid world of needing
a new laptop.(current one died) call me old fashioned but 3 years is really
not that long for the life of a PC. grrrr.

anyway, i'm on linux, PD and Ardour predominately and i do a little bit of
graphics gem, pdp, 3dp etc from time to time although its not my focus.

i'm just wondering if there are linux users out there that think that going
with a laptop with a ATI or Nvidia GPU is worth the price and driver
hassle(grrr) or does the intel GMA (thinking x3100) suffice most of these
applications. i have a gut feeling that linux support for intel drivers more
friendly than the gaming GPUs.

the new intel x3100 looks like it has the specs to do some cool stuff, but i
guess i need linux users words of experience. i have always had either ATI
or nvidia but i wonder if it is really that much of a bonus these days.
would they improve my audio performance

cheers