Re: [LAU] pd, linux, graphics hardware.

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 02:56:09 EEST

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> This is also why I've asked on this list about perhaps using one of the new Linux phones or game consoles for running Fluidsynth and some LADSPA plugins. Being able to do a gig with just my MIDI controller, a little handheld Linux device, and an external USB audio interface, would save lots of wear and tear on the laptop.
>
> -ken

Ken,

Your concerns about taking a device like that on the gig is exactly
why I haven't done it yet. Still, I think I've come up with a good
solution in my head that I'm working on:

There are a few IDE to CF adapters out there that will allow a CF card
to replace a laptop's hard drive. I've got a Thinkpad that I *love*
the hardware on, but the hard drive is slow as crap. I think that
maybe replacing the hard drive with a CF card, plus some lightweight
Linux apps and a good soundcard would be the perfect solution.

FYI, I've been working with Debian Live and pure:dyne to try to make a
liveCD based on Debian that is suitable for audio work; so far I've
been very successful. If you'd like, I can fill you in on the details
privately or on-list.

Josh

--
Josh Lawrence