Re: [LAU] Recording from a pedalboard

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 18:20:17 EEST

Pedro Ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to record some stuff from a BOSS GT8 pedalboard, and I was
> wondering what is the best audio interface to do it.
> I thought about the M-Audio MobilePre USB, but it seems the inputs are
> high impedance, so, i guess it's not advisable for processed signal.
> So, I found the Edirol UA-25 that seems to do what I want (the problem
> seems to be the USB 1.0 interface). Since the pedalboard as digital
> audio output, I thought the M-Audio Audiophile as well (USB version,
> since I'm using a laptop for recording).
> What's your opinion on all this? I'd like to find something that works
> well with Linux, and has MIDI input as well. What are you guys using
> in order to record from effect units?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pedro

Hi Pedro,
my advice is to get the UA-25. Keep in mind that, even if it is
advertised as 96kHz, you can only record or listen at that sample rate
(not both). In duplex mode the maximum is 48kHz. The GT8 digital out is
44.1kHz IIRC, so it is ok.

USB 1 is ok for two channels. You can achieve less latency with PCI
cards, but this is an issue only if you want to monitor the signal
processed inside the application. The UA-25 has a direct monitor (0
latency) that you can use to listen to your processed guitar while
playing over a track.

UA-25 works OOTB with linux (MIDI works great too).

Hope this helps,

-c.