Re: [LAU] Roland-Edirol Sound Canvas and other synths

From: Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 12:28:19 EEST

Roger Wakeman wrote:
> I was browsing through the ALSA supported devices and noticed all
> of these Roland-Edirol synth units that are supported. Does anyone
> have any experience with these? I'm having trouble figuring out
> exactly how they function. Do they receive MIDI data and then send
> audio streams to the computer through USB?

Most of them have external audio outputs but do not allow to record
the audio over USB. The exception are devices like the SCD-70, which
can also record from its external audio inputs.

> Do they receive MIDI data from the computer or from another external
> device?

They all can send and/or receive MIDI over USB. The number of external
MIDI outputs/inputs varies.

> Are they well supported?

Yes; I wrote the USB MIDI driver for my SC-8820.

The parameter control software usually does not run in Linux, i.e.,
you have to construct SysEx commands manually.

Regards,
Clemens