Re: [LAU] Too loud (aka "Red" zone) - how much dB

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 19:47:15 EEST

Am Mittwoch, 14. Mai 2008 schrieb Peteris Krisjanis:
> I am helping to code small sound editor and we will have waveforms.
> However, we need to know what constitutes too loud, aka after how much
> dB we can do a cut off in waveform and putting red stage in mixer? Any
> hints how everyone is dealing with this?

In the digital world, everything above the available integer-range (on input
and output) makes distortion. As this int-range is normally converted to the
double/float-range [-1,1], abs(signal) == 1 is normally considered as 0dB and
all the volume is measured in negative deziBel.

But in the gui I wouldn't cut off the values. It can very well be that the
mixing-stages after the guis data are scaling/limiting the signal to values
in the valid range. Just make them red so everyone is aware of the potential
problems...

Have fun,

Arnold

--