Re: [LAU] Equivalent to reason?

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 22:46:50 EEST

No one program on Linux can do what reason does. But there is a way to
use some groups of apps together to get all of the functionality
(minus some streamlining of interface and user friendliness). Actually
there are at least 20 sets of applications, each of which as a group
would do what you want if you take the time to learn them.

As an aside, the immensity of the number of choices is the heaven and
the hell of Linux. For example the lack of any default software audio
mixing means we can get better latency and signal-quality with Linux
than any other OS I know of; it also means that for every pro-audio
user in latency heaven there are two thousand desktop users who don't
know why they can't listen to an mp3 and hear the soundtrack to a
youtube video at the same time. As a nerd who cannot tolerate latency
or xruns when using my laptop in a concert I am fine with that trade
off. But I won't criticize a casual desktop user using his computer as
an interactive TV for considering the linux audio experience a waste
of his time. There may be a similar trade off for the pro audio user
who wants to fiddle with low level integration of his audio tools and
get the very most of his system (in Linux heaven), and the audio guy
who is less of a nerd than I, who has no patience for setting up all
the little parts of a Linux audio production environment (in Linux
hell). I won't judge anyone for wanting an integrated cookie cutter
out of the box audio environment, that is surely not a character flaw,
but Linux is probably not the system he should be using (unless that
easy set up is available now, I wouldn't know because that is not what
I am looking for).