[LAU] Compiling Patchage...dependencies - Raul and FlowCanvas

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 19 2008 - 05:32:54 EEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [LAU] Compiling Patchage...dependencies - Raul and FlowCanvas
To: Roger Wakeman <rwakeman@email-addr-hidden>

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Roger Wakeman <rwakeman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I just installed 64studio--UbuntuStudio 8.04 wasn't doing for me--
> and was surprised that Patchage wasn't included. Based completely
> on the screenshot from http://wiki.drobilla.net/Patchage I decided
> to compile 0.4.0 instead of 0.2.3 from the repositories.
>
> I get stuck on installing the dependency Raul-0.4.0.
> ./configure breaks here:
>
> checking for JACK... configure: error: Package requirements (jack
>>= 0.107.0) were not met:
>
> Requested 'jack >= 0.107.0' but version of jack is 0.103.0
>
> No problem...I installed the latest versions of jackd, jack
> libraries and qjackctrl. My jackd version is now 0.109.0, but the
> configure command still thinks that jack is version 0.103.0. I ran
> sudo updatedb...I admit I don't know what it does...and it didn't
> help anyway. Did anyone else encounter this or has anyone a
> suggestion?
>
> Roger
> http://www.linuxstudiopro.com
>

> --
> Save up to 10% - 30% on Visual Basic. Click here.
> http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dGIsgLTAGlNKrYDT3uOh768soIAvJtmZYHQPgCpL2G6RSXW/

Did you make and install the new jack by hand or from a package?

If from a package, you will of course need the matching -dev package.
If by hand, you will need to make sure that the location of the new
jack headers is before your old ones in the include path, and that the
version of the new jack libraries is before the old ones in your
ld.so.conf (also make sure to run ldconfig after installing the libs
if the install target did not do that). I assume you know that getting
the newer jack lib means getting new versions of many of the programs
that use jack (otherwise you will discover many an inexplicable bug in
the applications compiled with an out of date jack.h, or apps that are
smart enough to check for a jack version refusing to run and
complaining that they cannot connect to this jack version). Out of
synch versions of jack is not as bad as out of synch libc versions,
but it can be tricky nonetheless.

Updatedb manages the database that man uses to find man pages.