Re: [LAU] Compiling Patchage...dependencies - Raul and FlowCanvas

From: Roger Wakeman <rwakeman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 19 2008 - 07:32:08 EEST

>Did you make and install the new jack by hand or from a package?

bare hands

>If by hand, you will need to make sure that the location of the new
>jack headers is before your old ones in the include path, and that
the
>version of the new jack libraries is before the old ones in your
>ld.so.conf (also make sure to run ldconfig after installing the
libs
>.if the install target did not do that). I assume you know that
getting
>the newer jack lib means getting new versions of many of the
programs
>that use jack (otherwise you will discover many an inexplicable
bug in
>the applications compiled with an out of date jack.h, or apps that
are
>smart enough to check for a jack version refusing to run and
>complaining that they cannot connect to this jack version). Out of
>synch versions of jack is not as bad as out of synch libc versions,
>but it can be tricky nonetheless.

You give me too much credit, sir. The contents of my
/etc/lib.so.conf is as follows

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

...and the included file is x86_64-linux-gnu.conf, which contains

# Multiarch support
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Also, this happens

robeast@64studio:/etc/ld.so.conf.d$ ldconfig
bash: ldconfig: command not found

>Updatedb manages the database that man uses to find man pages.

Haha! I thought that might be helpful from some flailing googling I
had done. Seems like ldconfig will do what I thought updatedb did.

I did manage to make some progress but it's such a hack that it
can't be any good. First I found that I had both versions of jack
installed, 0.103.0 in /usr/bin from the package manager and 0.109.0
in /usr/local/bin from my own source install. I tried some silly
things like moving files around, such as /usr/local/bin/jackd to
/usr/bin/jackd, which did change the version number when running
/usr/bin/jackd from the terminal but didn't fool the configure
command for raul.

I ended up going into the configure file and replacing all "jack >=
0.107.0" to "jack >= 0.103.0" which tricked the configure into
completing so I could continue. Not advisable, but it was the best
idea I had at the time. After that raul installed fine, flowcanvas
installed fine, patchage complained about the jack version as well,
I executed the same brute force hack and now patchage hits an error
when I run "sudo make":

Patchage.cpp: In constructor ‘Patchage::Patchage(int, char**)’:
Patchage.cpp:149: error: ‘class Gtk::AboutDialog’ has no member
named ‘property_program_name’
make[1]: *** [Patchage.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/robeast/Desktop/patchage/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I know that my changes to the configure file don't get at the root
of my problem, but I figured I'd see how far I could go. Should I
even bother working with these new versions of jack and patchage?
The new patchage looks great and I'm hoping that it will have some
performance improvements over an older version I've been using, but
I don't want to end up with audio apps that are incompatible with
the new version of jack. With the current versions I have
previously installed (I just installed patchage 0.2.3 from the
repos) everything works fine...so I don't know why I'm bothering
with this other than for cool bezier curves and to put off making
an actual recording.

Roger

--
Earn your associates degree.  Find a school near you.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dDtIaVyp065MgX6jhNqlENzJPXBtfyzKrnyIBufkqgyvOo4/