Re: [LAU] NVR10 firewire audio "reported to work" ?

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 13:02:22 EEST

Michael Bohle wrote:
> Am Mon, 19 May 2008 19:04:10 +0200
> schrieb Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>:
>
>> It would be nice if you could use the channel you seem to have
>> established with m-audio to help the FFADO project. We don't seem to
>> be able to get to the right people. As a result there is not a single
>> M-Audio device that is supported by FFADO.
>
> Hi Pieter,
>
> The german section of M-Audio is "interested" in Linux,
> my publisher (Alexander Weber from the BEAT Magazine) made the contact
> at the MusikMesse. They have a special offer for developers, to lend the
> devices for 45 days (or more if needed) but they won't support Linux
> officially.

Not supporting Linux is their choice of course, and perfectly
understandable if it's about customer support. If we're talking
developer support, it's less understandable, at least in key area's like
driver support.

The 45-days loan deal, although a nice gesture, is IMHO not sufficient
for something like FFADO, since that still does not allow for us to do
decent long-term user support and/or compatibility tests with newer
versions of the software.

The irony is that currently I have plenty of work with the
support/development of/for the current/planned set of devices, and hence
I'm not very actively pursuing additional vendor support. I seem to have
the luxury of requiring them to play by my rules if they want my time.
Might sound arrogant, but if someone else wants to go for their deal, be
my guest.

> Their friendlyness is because JackLab stands for acceptance and
> integration of VST (WineAsio) in Linux and that was my plan, to open
> another door. I also have good contact to Behringer now and I hope they
> will open up for Linux... I will talk with them seriously. I bookmarked
> #ffado now and will be there whenever my IRC client is running.

That's good, I'll see you there :).

Greets,

Pieter