Re: [LAU] DVD creator ?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 21:37:02 EEST

Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> To make fully fledged dvd's I came to use qdvdauthor after some amount
> of research. It's somewhat clunky (Mostly wrt to what it puts where
> and why, tmp dirs, importing stuff etc.) but it actually does
> everything related to dvd-authoring (Menu navigation, background
> images/videos/sound etc.). In the end it gives you a VIDEO_TS that
> you can write to a silver platter.
>
> Please don't hesitate to ask if the unlikely need for some
> hand-holding through the process should come up.

I decided on this approach:

Convert AVI to DV with Kino
Export DV to MPEG2 via Kino
Create DVD with DVDStyler

It works nicely, but... The quality of the resulting DVD is certainly
poor compared to the original.

> If you can produce dvd conformant scaling and framerate in AVS with
> good quality then that would be preferrable to any later adjustments.

I believe I can do both. I can set FPS (default 30) and I can set the
video width & height. I can also specify the audio sampling rate, which
I assume should be 48 kHz for a DVD.

> You can use "ffmpeg -i video.file -target ntsc-dvd video.mpg" to
> up/downscale and "adjust" framerate. This invovlves fairly good
> quality size scaling and simply dropping/duplicating frames wrt
> framerate.
>
> (To actually interpolate frames you could try yuvmotionfps. I've used
> it with very acceptable results to convert 30fps material from a
> canon a710. Whereas the ffmpeg dropframe conversion makes high-motion
> pans look unbearable the yuvmotionfps interpolation looks very ok on
> a tv set. http://jcornet.free.fr/linux/yuvmotionfps.html)
I'll check it out, thanks for the tips. :)

Best,

dp