Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 17:18:23 EEST

Hi!
   These kind of questions, are bound to have a lot of answers. Here are a few
possibilities.
1. Microphone: The Sure microphones are good. See SM57 and SM58. One's
especially for voice and the other is more suited to accustic instruments.
Although I've heard both used for voice and guitar. It's pretty ok.
   Mixer? If your soundcard has the right input, I think not. Only if you want
to record both guitar and voice at the same time, then you either need some
kind of mixer or another soundcard with to mic-inputs. I'd always vote for the
MAudio delta cards. But this is religion now.
   digital effects? I'd definitely say so: at least for production purposes.
You can take a lot of ladspa stuff here or jamin for the basic good sound.
   Regarding your soundcard: Be sure your content with the sound you get.
Onboard soundcard, in my experience, are apt to take up all sorts of stuff
from the electronics. That's buzzing, low crackling, just noise,...
   The rest to be aware of is more technical. How best to record? Where to
stand? Where to direct your mic? Which room to choose? etc. etc.
   I hope that helps for a start.
   Kindest regards
         Julien

--------