Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 20:32:43 EEST

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:09 PM, schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> And if a new soundcard is needed, is the m-audio audiophile 24/96 a good
> choice? Or is it better to have a usb device with some sort of preamp in
> it? I do use a boss distortion pedal now as preamp for my electr.
> guitar....
> What is better, usb or pci?
>
> So it seems to be better to buy a mic and maybe a soundcard first, and
> see if I really need a mixer and buy a good one later, if I have some
> more money...

buy a pci card .

- i'd get an m-audio delta 44 - it's what i started with for linux and
it's been great. make sure the minor alsa driver problems with newly
manufactured delta's have been resolved - i believe they have. the 44
has four channels in/out - if you're only planning on using one or two
right now, you'll probably want more later.

that series doesn't have mic preamps, but it does have balanced
inputs. buy a cheap (50-100USD) mic preamp. buy a 58, connect it to
the interface via the preamp.

get a direct box for the guitar, or another mic&preamp to mic the amp.

i use my mixer for its preamps 'cause it also has direct outs - if it
didn't, i'd have a collection of cheap funky preamps instead.

--
daneasley@email-addr-hidden
http://burntpossum.com