Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 06:28:54 EEST

On May 26, 2008, at 5:21 PM, schoappied wrote:

> Does the m-audio delta 44 has a preamp in it?
>
> Are there other soundcards then m-audio which works well on linux and
> have good quality but are maybe a bit cheaper?

The 44 does not have an onboard preamp.

However, the 44 does have a break out box. And there are actually
two versions of the breakout box. One is the regular one with 1/4"
audio jacks. The other is the OMNI Studio BOB, which does have pre-
amps. The Delta 66 can also be a good deal. It is like the
Delta44, except the PCI card has a pair of RCA S/PDIF connectors.
Both cards use the same breakout boxes.

The Delta 44 (and 66) are probably the cheapest in general, although
don't discount finding special deals on other stuff.

It seems to me that most audio cards with preamps put the preamps in
an external box, so going with external preamps might not be so bad
if you can find some cheaply.