Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 17:22:42 EEST

On May 27, 2008, at 6:44 AM, schoappied wrote:

> schoappied wrote:
>> Does the m-audio delta 44 and the audiophile 2496 have a midi
>> function?
>> Can I connect a electr. piano with a midi output to these soundcards?
>>
>> Dirk
>>

> It seems that the delta 44 doesn't have digital I/O, can somebody
> answer
> the above question and tell me where digital I/O is for?

The Delta 44 doesn't have digital IO. That is what the extra two
channels on the Delta 66 are.

If you mean what is digital IO for, it is a clean way to hook up to
something that already has digital. Ideas that come to mind are a
DAT deck, a CD player, another computer, a synth with digital output
(Alesis makes some), speakers with digital ins, a pre-amp with
digital out, etc. Digital out can also be used for data streams,
such as DTS, AC3, or Dolby E.

I most recently used digital out at home to connect a second computer
to my USB audio interface (with built in mixer or sorts) for the
purpose of sharing speakers.

At work I use digital audio extensively for AC3 and Dolby E.