Re: [LAU] which laptop?

From: Alberto Botti <alberto.botti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 11:21:08 EEST

Il giorno mar, 27/05/2008 alle 23.00 -0400, cdr ha scritto:
> eg if you care about driving a decent display, you can narrow out anything w/o
> dual-link DVI, HDMI, or Displayport. which means everything except the macbookpro or thinkpad with a dock..
>
> both of those use Nvidia afaik. so if you want a digital external display w/ Intel drivers, you need to wait for Displayport in Montevina (Centrino-2). which is a couple months

The Dell M1330 has a HDMI port and is available with a X3100 Intel
graphics controller (or a NVidia 8400). I haven't tried it but according
to the Xorg list it should work (video only, no audio at the moment).
If you live in the US or in some European countries you can order the
M1330n, preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.

Note that the X3100 is pretty slow (it's often slower than previous
Intel integrated cards) and its drivers are sometimes unstable in 3D, so
go for it only if you don't care about 3D (compiz works reasonably well
though), need good multi-monitor support and can't stand proprietary
drivers.

Also, its HDA audio (which it's the same as my Dell Vostro 1400) is
almost totally unusable with JACK...