Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 19:14:05 EEST

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
<SNIP>
>> Sounds great, but where can I find a firewire interface that will let me
>> record 24+ tracks at once. I am in the market for one if my pocket can handle
>> the cost... (This is in no way related to to USB comparison...)
>
> There are none that have 24 preamps. However, there are plenty that can
> handle +24 channels with the use of external preamps. The magic number
> seems to be "26", being "8 preamps, 2x ADAT, 1x spdif". Then there are
> some devices that provide 4x/4x ADAT I/O.
>
> I'm only going to give one device name since that's the only one on our
> supported device list: Focusrite Saffire PRO26.
>
> To get a more broad overview of the market I would suggest you look at
> the offerings from TC Electronic, Presonus and M-Audio too if you look
> for something like this. I can name at least 5 devices that do 24channel
> (spdif doesn't count for me) I/O if you have 16channels of external
> preamp. All at 48k of course.
>
> Greets,
>
> Pieter

Or if money is an issue right now he could buy a nice Presouns 8
channel unit, make sure he likes it, and then add more 8 channel units
later. Use an external clock generator to sync them and he's in fat
city. If one unit goes down, power supply dies, XLR connector goes
bad, he can get it fixed but he still has 16 channels.

Just an idea,
Mark

P.S. - I didn't understand your comment earlier about a globally
available 1394b clock. I worked on that spec and I just don't remember
that. Been too long I suppose...

Cheers,
Mark