Re: [LAU] which laptop?

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 22:37:11 EEST

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 07:44:11PM +0100, Frank Wales wrote:

> I'm currently thinking of trying one of these out:
> http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/Transit-main.html
>
> They're cheap enough to consider as part of the necessary equipment
> for serious work on the go, I think, but not quite at the "I'll buy one
> just to see if it works at all" level.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with it (or similar modestly priced
> little USB outboard cards)? I'm particularly interested to know if
> such a card would in any way push the use of rosegarden+jack+timidity
> on an Asus Eee from close-but-no-cigar to the point of usability.

The Behringer UCA-202 is a bit cheaper, and offers RCA analog IO, along
with optical out and a dedicated headphone jack.

I don't know about you, but RCA makes me feel better compared to 3.5mm
jacks.

I just wish it also offered RCA digital IO. I have virtually no use for
optical digital, but all the cheap gear seems to only offer it.