Re: [LAU] OT: Guitar level- Mic or Line?

From: Andre Majorel <aym-psd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 10:39:36 EEST

On 2008-05-27 22:00 +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> > Use an active DI-box, in particular if the guitar output has
> > to be split for a guitar amp as well.
>
> What if I can't afford DI-boxes? Which is best to use?

Try it and see but I bet they both will sound muffled. If you have
a bipolar supply hanging around, you can make an unbalanced buffer
for cheap.

Tip of jack from guitar to ground via a 1 M to 5 M resistor and to
the non-inverting input of a TL071. Output of TL071 to its
inverting input and to a 220 ohm resistor. Other end of resistor
to tip of jack to line input. Leave the offset adjust pins
unconnected. Sleeve of both jacks to ground.

                              ^ +15 V

                         -----------
                        | _ | |
                        | 2| -_7 |
                         --|- -_6 | 220
     FROM |\ /-------+---|+ _- TL071 \/ | LINE
   GUITAR | \/ | 3|_-|4 _______| INPUT
  OR BASS |_______ < | |
                   | > 1~5M | ---
                  --- < v -15 V

                      ---

You could surely do something similar with a unipolar supply (9 V
battery or wall wart) but I don't know how. There is probably a
bipolar supply inside your mixer, though. If it doesn't exceed
+/-18 V, you could use that. Shouldn't be a problem, a TL071 draws
very little current.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.