Re: [LAU] Took the leap and ordered an Intel Mini-ITX

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 19:21:43 EEST

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> After following the thread here about laptop survival rates live, I've decided to roll my own ruggedized embedded softsynth box:
>
> http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/a-more-portable-setup
>
> I'd appreciate any advice anyone here might have to share regarding this adventure.
>
> I'm particularly curious about storage options. I'd rather not put in a spinning hard drive, and go with some kind of flash drive with an ATA or SATA interface, if such things exist.

When I built my Shuttle XPC 4 years, the goal was to have a
semi-portable setup. I actually took it to a drummer's house a few
times. Setup time was about 15 minutes. I just used a normal
hardware though (no SSD or anything fancy).

Have you considered no HDD at all? Like rolling your own live CD.
Just burn a bunch of copies. If you want to record your gigs, maybe
use SD cards or USB drives. Just a thought. Probably harder than it
sounds...

What about a rackmount mini-itx case (Ihave not used these vendors or
products; these are just some search results):
http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/cases/rackmount
http://store1.alrightdeals.com/CommonItem.htm?Product=S1_Cases_Rackmount___66632

Pricey, but seems like a good idea for a gigging musicians.