Re: [LAU] hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 20:17:02 EEST

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:57:38PM +0200, schoappied wrote:

> I'm thinking to buy a art tube project series
> http://www.thomann.de/nl/art_tube_mp_project_series.htm with a m-audio
> audiophile 24/96 ...

That sounds like a good plan.

> Would be great if there's something like this which makes it possible to
> record guitar and voice together... I know there's a art tube dual usb,
> but I don't want a usb connection...

Well, with that sound card, all you need are two ART Type MPs and two mics.

> Is it possible to use a mixer with this art tube? Then I could buy one
> if I decide I need a mixer and have money..

Sure, but that setup should look like this:

  Mic1->ArtTubeMP1---
                     \
                      \
>-->mixer-->2496
                      /
                     /
  Mic2->ArtTubeMP2---

But, you could also do this:

   Mic1->ArtTubeMP---
                     \
                      \
>-->mixer-->2496
                      /
                     /
              Mic2---

since virtually every little mixer that have been mentioned has its own
mic preamps.

You could technically do this:
  Mic1----
          \
           \
>-->mixer-->ArtTubeMP-->2496
           /
          /
   Mic2---

But that seem like a rather strange and pointless thing to do as mixer
would have it's own preamps and the whole point of using an Art Tube MP
is that it is probably a lot better than the mixers preamps.

Personally, I don't have any mics of my own yet. Sometime after I get
some, I do plan to buy a ART Tube MP to try out comparing with my
Lexicon's preamps and the yamaha preamps to see if I can actually tell
the difference.