Re: [LAU] Preamp for mic/ guitar (was: hardware: recording voice and acc. guitar)

From: Emiliano Grilli <emillo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 13:41:02 EEST

Thursday, 29 May 2008 alle 22:50:09, schoappied ha scritto:
> Hi,
>

> I've bought a m-audio audiophile 24/96 and a mic shure sm 58 beta
> (thanks for your advices ;) ).

They're "industry standards" :)

> I also have a epiphone les paul elekt. guitar with a orange crush 30 r
> amplifier.
>
> Now I want to be able to record voice and guitar, so I need a preamp...
> (or a mixer, if that's better)

A mixer would do better only if it's a big and old one: I grabbed
recently a soundtracs rx-8 for 400 eur and it is fantastic sounding and
very flexible (even if a bit heavy). Brands to search for are all
british (in my opinion): sountracs, allen & heath, souncraft,
studiomaster, trident. At the top of the food chain there are studers,
but I fear that will cost at least around 1500 eur.

I have also a rack mountable soundcraft folio but its preamps, althoug
better than the ones of ART or behringer, are not up to the ones on the
24 channel soundtracs console.

A 24 channel console can be overkill for your puroposes, but can be the
best thing to search for in the used market. Buy locally if you can, as
you'd better try all channels and functions (and noises) before buiyng.

> My budget is around 100 euro, but don't be to strict on that, maybe I'll
> can get some things second hand...
>
> I was thinking about these things, but Giuseppe, was telling that the
> art tubes are not a really good choice:
>
> - http://www.thomann.de/nl/art_tube_mp_project_series.htm

I had one of those, and sell it immediatly. Not very good, in my opinion
too

> What about the alternative in this area?
>
> - audio buddy: http://www.thomann.de/nl/m-audio_audio_buddy.htm

I don't know it

> - Studio Projects VTB1 : http://www.thomann.de/nl/studio_projects_vtb1.htm

I have two of these and they're fine for the price. I never use the
"valve" feature, though.. maybe those are among the best in this price
range.

> What are good preamps? Are there good preamps in the range of 100 - 250
> euro? (Maybe I'll can get some second hand).

I also have a dbx 285a (around 280 eur) which is a channel strip with
some useful features like a compressor, an expander and deesser. Nice. I
often use this one for single mic recordings.

Then on the "little more expensive side", I have a Groove tubes "the
brick" (around 400 eur) which is a true tube preamp, great as bass DI
but doesn't have lots of gain. Then, and this is my best and most used
one, there is the FMR really nice preamp (2 channels for ~ 500 eur).
If you can afford it is a really good sounding preamp, and one of the
most recognized even by pro users (even if "entry level", by their
standards)

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dirk

HTH