Re: [LAU] OT: linux phone?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 23:07:54 EEST

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:35:27AM +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> Susan Cragin <susancragin@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > Skip the phone. Try mumble.
>
> First off; this is unrelated to the OP. Secondly, if you want a soft
> phone, use a real SIP VOIP soft phone;).

Also, Ekiga is what I use right now, and it's not very helpful.

The problem is: it's useless if I don't have my computer on, or if I'm not near a usable free WiFi signal. Also the quality sucks-- very choppy over wifi.

So I had to buy a cheap 7-11 prepaid cellphone a while ago, and I have my SIP phone number forwarded to it most of the time. But I hate it. I'd rather have a proper cellphone that runs Linux, and I'll get the Sprint Metro PCS service for it so that I have internet connectivity... and with a Linux phone and bluetooth then I thus have wireless internet for my laptop too.

I will order an OpenMoko as soon as they are available.

-ken