Re: [LAU] OT: linux phone?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 11:49:19 EEST

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:18:41PM +0100, kloni wotski wrote:
> One that hasn't been mentioned so far, non-free firmware (I believe)
> but making use of the armel debian repos: Titchy Mobile on the HTC
> Universal. (Yep! Debian on a phone!)
>
> http://wiki.neilandtheresa.co.uk/Titchy_Mobile
>
> which can make calls and send sms from the commandline, and receive
> them via a whiptail dialog interface.
>
> You can run X, and ppp over gprs/umts is also supported, according
> the wiki
>
> Wifi used to work, is now unstable, but will probably be fixed sometime.
>
> Definitely an alpha environment, but fun! It's a sort of un-sponsored,
> in-the-teeth-of-the-manufacturers effort. The handset is clunky and
> unfashionably huge, but with a unique swivel-screen arrangement that
> might tweak your tech-toy neurons :)

Wow, cool!

I like the fact that it has an actual keyboard (Blackberry style), unlike the others that have only a touchscreen (iPhone style).

Where does one buy an HTC Universal, and how much do they cost?

I Googled around and it seems that they come "locked" from various people, and some kind of hack is required in order to unlock them.

If it's easy and cheap to install Debian on an existing proprietary phone-- and I could actually make calls on it--, I'd be up for buying one and trying it. If not, I'll wait for an OpenMoko hardware phone.

-ken