Re: [LAU] OT: Double bass (Kontrabass) Recommended listening.

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 11:21:16 EEST

Loki Davison wrote:
> I recently bought a double bass and am loving it. Fun to play and
> amazing sound with fingers and bow. I will be looking for a teacher
> soon but first and foremost i'm looking for some good stuff to listen
> too! I'm really enjoying Willie Dixons stuff and a few tracks by
> Freundeskries (german hiphop) and Donovan. What else is good? I'd love
> to here tracks in a range of style both bow and fingers.
Scott LaFaro
Ron Carter
Jimmy Garrison
Oscar Pettiford
Charles Mingus
Ray Brown
Tommy Potter

Bertram Turetzky
Gary Karr

The first group lists primarily jazz giants, the next two fellows are
classical greats.

If you like Willie Dixon's work you should check out the Muddy Waters
recordings with Big Crawford.

I'd throw in Jaco Pastorius and Billy Sheehan, even though they were/are
mainly electric players.

Best,

dp