Re: [LAU] Graduating from Ubuntu Studio

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 22:33:51 EEST

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Christian Delahousse
<christian.delahousse@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
<SNIP>

> So, I think I'm at the level where I can benefit from a stream lined, more
> "user-unfriendly" system.
<SNIP>

I cannot suggest whether changing distros will be a good thing to do
or whether it's even worth the effort but as an 8 year Linux user and
as someone who has used one of the more "user-unfriendly, power-user
friendly" distros for the last 5 years I cannot do anything other than
give my highest recommendations for Gentoo coupled with the pro-audio
overlay. No bloat, very focused applications, lots and lots of
control, and VERY stable. Dig in deep or just let it work - either is
well supported. Gentoo is not difficult to learn, but it does take
some time. The install is almost purposely built to scare away folks
who aren't willing to do the work. If you get the install done you'll
likely never have problems with the distro.

If you have the disk space, and most folks doing audio do, then
install Gentoo as a second distro on new partitions and choose to boot
it using the grub install you likely already have. Try it out over the
next few months - and it will take you that long to get comfortable
with it. you can even do the Gentoo install inside of a chroot while
running your current distro. It's all supported.

No matter what choice you make do NOT blow away your current install.
Keep it and dual boot anything else you are looking at. I do this with
every new install and can always get back to something that's working
in a matter of minutes.

Good luck with whatever choices you make.

Cheers,
Mark