Re: [LAU] Graduating from Ubuntu Studio

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 20:22:28 EEST

To clarify what I mentioned earlier, and respond to some of the posts
since then:

No matter how much ram you have, if you have gnome or kde running,
your CPU will be spending more time filling the cache, because of the
large size of the constituent applications, and will context switch
more often, because of the large number of services and interactive
task-bar doohickeys, etc.

This is why I suggested creating a custom real-time audio run level,
where even cron would be shut off, not to mention networkmanager etc.
I would even recommend shutting down all of your network connections
if you are not doing networked audio. If you ever have to use a
command line while doing audio, I recommend temporarily using dash
instead of bash or zsh. This may be overkill, but if you are anything
like me, you will never run out of things you could synthesize or
process if only you had a few more spare CPU cycles and a few more
megs of unused RAM. The less ram active apps are using, the more time
can be spent processing audio instead of filling the cache. So after
tuning your kernel and jack, and only using jack apps (good point
Hartmut, I had taken that part for granted), the fewer apps, running
as seldom as possible, and using as little RAM each as you can get
away with, will make a huge difference.