Re: [LAU] looking for alternatives to ac3jack, because it just won't build

From: Jesse Chappell <jesse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 18 2008 - 04:35:38 EEST

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Eric Steinberg
<eric.steinberg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I'm unable to build ac3jack on my Hardy system; stuck in dependency hell.
> Is there another way to output an AC3 stream so that I can mix audio for
> DVD? Or is there a .deb somewhere for ac3jack?

I have reimplemented ac3jack completely, but have not yet released it
officially or updated the web site. I need a kick in the pants to do
it. Anyway, here's all you need:

The new version has a GUI (ac3jack) as well as a cmdline version
(ac3jack_cli), plus OSC control, but best of all integrates the
realtime ALSA output to SPDIF.

The downside is that it has a few more dependencies. It no longer
uses ffmpeg, instead using the newer and more actively developed
Aften. I've made an SVN snapshot of Aften that you'll need to use
instead of their release version.

AC3Jack 2 source:
 http://essej.net/ac3jack/ac3jack-2.0.0alpha3.tar.gz

Aften source:
 http://essej.net/ac3jack/aften-20071020.tar.gz
 You need 'cmake' to build aften. Once you have that, the quick build
instructions are:
 $ cd aften-20071020
 $ mkdir build
 $ cd build
 $ cmake ..
 $ make
 [become root]
 # make install
 # cp libaften_static.a /usr/local/lib/

The other dependencies you'll need are boost, wxWidgets,
libsigc++-1.2, and liblo (all of which are described in the README)
and most of which should be available from your distribution's repositories.

Building ac3jack is a straightforward ./configure; make; make install, as usual.

If you are trying out realtime spdif output, I'd especially like your feedback
on how your sound card's SPDIF is presented in the GUI, because I have
not been able to test it with many different setups.

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you have any problems. The
documentation is still a work in progress (and only exists in the
README for the time being, the website is still the old one).

jlc