Re: [LAU] Focusrite Saffire LE

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 17:58:47 EEST

Chris Wenn wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm having significant trouble getting a Saffire LE to work with my
> setup.
>
> I have a Dell XPS M1210, running Ubuntu Studio. Because the inbuilt
> firewire device is the infamous RICOH chipset, I am forced to use a
> firewire Expresscard/32, detailed below
>
> :~$ lspci -v
>
> 0e:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments XIO2200(A)
> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
> Memory at ecc04000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
> Memory at ecc00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> I am able to configure and start jack,
>
> :~$ /usr/bin/jackd -v -R -P89 -dfreebob -dhw:0 -r48000 -p128 -n3
>
> Which produces
>
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_freebob.so
> getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
> jackd 0.109.2
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> server `default' registered
> registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
> registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi
> clock source = system clock via clock_gettime
> new client: freebob_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x806ff40 fd = -1
> Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
> new buffer size 1024
> LibFreeBoB MSG: FreeBoB Streaming Device Init
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Using FreeBoB lib version libfreebob 1.0.7
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Device information:
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Device options:
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Port : 0
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Device Node Id : -1
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Samplerate : 48000
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Period Size : 1024
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Nb Buffers : 3
> LibFreeBoB MSG: Directions : 0
> showDevice: not implemented
> FreeBoB MSG: Register MIDI IN port dev1c_Midi In
> FreeBoB MSG: Register MIDI OUT port dev1p_Midi Out
> FreeBoB MSG: Streaming thread running with Realtime scheduling, priority
> 14
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C0_dev1c_Rec 1
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C1_dev1c_Rec 2
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C2_dev1c_Rec 3
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C3_dev1c_Rec 4
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C4_dev1c_Rec 5
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering audio capture port C5_dev1c_Rec 6
> registered port system:capture_1, offset = 4096
> registered port system:capture_2, offset = 8192
> registered port system:capture_3, offset = 12288
> registered port system:capture_4, offset = 16384
> registered port system:capture_5, offset = 20480
> registered port system:capture_6, offset = 24576
> [...]

Have you tried higher/lower period sizes?

It might have something to do with a bug/issue present in the firewire
stack related to output ISO streams. There is a fix for this in the
2.6.26 kernels.

The issue manifests itself in the kernel not requesting any outgoing ISO
  packets anymore. Hence the jack process cycle doesn't run anymore and
jack aborts.

I have seen this happen with some cards, but only on a PCI express
system (dell d820). With the on-board controller and with a based
XIO2200 1394 expresscard.

However it could also be something else.

I would recommend that you install FFADO to drive the saffire LE, since
FFADO has a lot more verbose debugging output, and more checks to catch
this kind of issue.

http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/613 might help you install it.

Then join the ffado-user mailing list to further discuss this.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers