Re: [LAU] Laptop Sound Adapter for Ripping my Vinyl Album Collection

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 20:46:14 EEST

On Friday 27 June 2008 12:12, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 27 June 2008 at 11:47, plutek-infinity <plutek@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > >Not really, just trying to give some sort of indication as to the
> > >sound quality level of the adapter I'm after. The internal card of
> > >the laptop is probably not good enough, though I should at least
> > >confirm that. An RME setup might, might just be overkill for the
> > >job. ;-)
> >
> > to my mind, RME is never overkill --
>
> OK, the hardware is not overkill. But, my wallet would probably
> fall over dead. Actually, I do wish that I'd gone the RME route
> from the start. But, I've got a pair of Delta 1010s and don't
> want to go through the hassle of switching over. Eventually, my
> computer will die and I won't be able to get a motherboard with
> two PCI slots to run those units. I'm hoping that Firewire sound
> adapters with pro specs and lots (>=16 full-duplex) of channels
> will be working flawlessly by then. For some amount of time
> Firewire might let me avoid motherboard specifics that impact
> which sound adapters I use.
>
> > just think of all the things you could do with your lappy then.
>
> Neither of my laptops is really all that powerful of a machine.
> One of them is a 700MHz Pentium II. But, I can run Audacity on
> them for post processing quite well, with patience that is.
>
> I was hoping for an answer that a piece of gear like one of these
>
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-Pro-Mobile-USB-Aud
>io-MIDI-Interface?sku=241710
>
> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007
>
> would work. Even better would be something cheaper. :-)
>
> But, looking over the ALSA sound card matrix, it looks pretty sparse
> for things which operate via USB.

From here: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

"All USB devices that are standards compliant will work. If they do not please
report to the mailing lists. If your USB device is not on this list yet, here
are some generic install instructions."

And for instance, here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Alesis

You will not see:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

but I had one that worked just fine for stereo recording. Until the built in
sound card part went south. The guy at the music store says alesis will not
sell parts for out of factory repairs so that was that. Now is is just a
small mixer for me.

> Thanks....
>
> --
> Kevin