Re: [LAU] Editing sound via shell

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 19:57:11 EEST

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Daniel Yokomizo hat gesagt: // Daniel Yokomizo wrote:
>> I tried to find some tool to edit sounds using the shell (basic
>> things like changing volume, tempo, etc., nothing too fancy) but I
>> failed to find something other than Rubber Band (which I'm having
>> trouble making work, I'm on 64bit Debian btw). I usually just use
>> Audacity for this stuff but now I have a large number of files to edit
>> and scripting is the best choice.
>> Is there any other good tool for this task?
>
> Ecasound.
>
> Ciao
> --
> Frank Barknecht _ ______footils.org__

sox will do basic trim / effects / resample / stretching as well, with
a shorter command line. It doesn't do effects routing, which can be an
advantage if you don't want to deal with that complexity. ecasound is
kind of a middle ground with greater flexibility and greater
complexity, then you have things like nyquist, clm, and csound, which
are meant to be command-line invokable for non-realtime audio
processing, but are full fledged programming languages rather than
command line tools (ie. not only can you apply effects, but write them
from scratch if so desired, and the effects have a much larger number
of parameters, etc.

(by the way, thanks gmail folks for making the "reply" button doing
the right thing with this mailing list)