Re: [LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

From: schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 02:12:05 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM, schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> I've read on the debian irc channel that it is not necessary to do a
>> rt-patch with the newest kernels (.25.10), just set in menu config:
>>
>> processor type and features >> preemtible kernel (low -latency desktop)
>>
>> and Timer frequentie to 1000 Hz.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this?
>>

> Not at all true. That strategy will give you a good kernel, but it is
> not a 'real-time' kernel. You're best bet is to use the specific patch
> set supplied by Ingo and the RT team.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

whow, Ive spend I think 20 hours to build a kernel but it constantly
fails.... :( :( :(

I tried everything with help from IRC and documentation, but different
errors...

for example: http://pastebin.com/m5bc649d

I use a kernel for kernel.org and a rt-patch which fits it...
I patch the files as described in this howto:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=17035&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I use: make oldconfig (skip the questions with ENTER) and then make xconfig
And set:
rocessor type and features> Preemption Mode (Complete Preemption
(Real-Time))
Processor type and features>Timer frequency (1000 HZ)

Then:
$ make-kpkg clean ; export VER=$(date +'%Y%m%d')
NAMEEXT="-$(hostname)-$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)"; make-kpkg
--revision=$VER --append-to-version=$NAMEEXT --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd
kernel_image kernel_headers

Can it fails because of the new kernel versions I try to build?
Or do I make errors in making the .config file?

This is my hardware, maybe someone can help me making the .config file
or give me advice for editing xconfig?

http://pastebin.com/m410fbc40

thanks in advance and for the guys at this part of the world, sleep
well, others have a good day!