Re: [LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 02:21:49 EEST

Back on Sunday 06 July 2008, schoappied was like:

> should I have this enabled? I seems weird to set it to No_HZ if further
> on Hz is set to 1000 ... or do i misunderstand this item?
>
> Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks) (NO_HZ)
>
> This option enables a tickless system: timer interrupts will
> only trigger on an as-needed basis both when the system is
> busy and when the system is idle.

It's sort of like using a callback rather than polling to deal with
interrupts. (not literally, but the analogy works)

It's great for laptops because it helps preserve battery power. It _sounds_
like it might be a cool option for real time, but I've tried it and it caused
all kinds of problems with real time performance. (It also totally hosed
compiz)

-Reuben