Re: [LAU] bassguitar

From: Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 10:30:25 EEST

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:16:33AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote :
> Andre Majorel wrote:
> > On 2008-07-02 08:42 +0200, schoappied wrote:
> >

> >> What are the advantages or disadvantages of an acoustic bass?
> >>

> > Guitar-sized acoustic basses ? IME, they sound like shit. May have
> > to do with the case being too small to resonate effectively at low
> > frequencies.
> I agree. I've played a couple "acoustic bass guitars", they did indeed
> sound poorly. I forget the name of the Mexican guitar-like bass, but
> McCabe's (in LA) sold quite a few of those when buyers realized how much
> better they sounded than the $$$ Dreadnaught-style basses.

Depends on the price you put in, obviously. Actually, I quite agree with
you, I haven't heard a lot sounding well.

> I think you're right about the resonant characteristics. In truth, the
> sound itself wasn't so bad, it just carried about two feet and just died
> there. No projection worth a damn. Maybe a good sound in studio though ?

Not sure it has to deal with
the dimensions finally, as my own bass (acoustic/solid body at the same
time) just sounds awesome with deep basses, and very accurate sound. By
the way, many non-linear acoustics phenomenons permits to get basses
with small-dimensions instruments, and I think you can't think in
another way if you want the instrument to be human-playable. I mean
100Hz is already a 1.7m wavelength, I wouldn't have to play on an
instrument which is sized to produce 20Hz!!!