Re: [LAU] headphones

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 16:47:53 EEST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM, schoappied <schoappied@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> So, if you're practising bass guitar, do you want your headphones to
>>> emphasize bass, or do you want them to be flat?
>>>

>> 6) To practice bass get a headphone with some extra emphasis in the
>> bass areas, keep the volume down and enjoy.
>>

> That's a good point... what is good for practising bass...
>
> Maybe this one. It got nice reviews and they have extra emphasis on the
> bass..
>
> http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/sennheiser-hd-212-pro.php

I think there are too many issues here to pick one out by looking at
web pages. A number of folks have given you suggestions for headphones
that would more or less meet you 50 euro criteria. The issue is that
not only do your headphones need to sound good, they need to feel good
if you're going to wear them for extended amounts of time. You're not
really going to figure this out without finding someplace where you
can try a few pair out so go look for that.

You might also check out the 'Best Headphones' section of your web
site for their guidance. They like a Grado model in that price range
and their frequency response chart for the Grado does look better, at
least to my eyes.

Also, I was reading about their favorite headphone, a Denon model, and
they made the point that it doesn't sound all that good with portable
music devices. Only once they match it with a high end headphone amp
does it really shine. Now, my point is NOT that you should buy a high
end amp, but that you need to listen to the headphones you are
interested in using the same equipment you intended to drive them
with.

Anyway, enough talk. Go listen, make sure the sound is reasonable, and
then buy a set and work with them. I've made the point on this list a
few times that I bought a $1000 set of studio monitors over Ebay. Good
reviews, folks liked them. They arrived and I hated the sound, but I'd
spent my money. I was disappointed for a couple of months, but over
time I both got used to their sound and also got educated in placing
them more effectively. Now I actually like their sound and do good
mixes on them, but it wasn't that way in the beginning.

Cheers,
Mark