Re: [LAU] Trying to get rid of xruns

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 13:54:06 EEST

Matthew Smith wrote:

> After a long (15 years) break in music making/recording, I have just set
> myself up with a new virtual studio - bit of a culture shock when all my
> previous experience was analogue plus Notator on an Atari.

Well, my music making was pen and paper, an acoustic piano, classical
and electric guitars, and a portable cassette tape recorder ... I still
have that recording!

> I'm running Gentoo Linux (x86_64) on a dual-core ThinkPad with 1.5Gb
> RAM. To save unnecessary processing overhead and because I like a
> 'clean' desktop, I am using the Fluxbox window manager.

I like it, too. Reminds me a bit of the design philosophy of the Targa
TIPS video painting program AT&T made for use with their line of Targa
video capture and editing cards ...

My guess about your xruns problem is ... do you have hardware on this
Thinkpad that perhaps is sharing interrupts with your audio hardware?
People on the list have mentioned getting xruns when a laptop had audio
and video hardware sharing the same interrupt and the system had to
update the display at the same time the audio hardware was in use.
Another source was unused wireless networking hardware - the system
would keep checking for a network connection even though there was none.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden