Re: [LAU] JACK with many soundcards

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 02:36:24 EEST

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>> Quoting Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>:
>>
>> Every string on it's separate channel? Now _that_ is rock'n'roll.
>>
>> ;)
> Just so's ya know: The Casio MIDI guitar (I owned a couple of MG 510s)
> could be set up to send over a separate channel per string. It was great
> fun.
>
> That was in the late 80s, IIRC. There is nothing new under the sun. :)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_(Grateful_Dead):

"The Wall of Sound consisted of eighty-nine 300-watt solid state and
three 350-watt
vacuum tube amplifiers, driving the speakers with a total of 26,400
watts RMS ... Phil
Lesh's bass guitar was piped through a quadraphonic encoder that sent
a separate
signal from each of the four strings to its own channel and set of speakers."

This was in '73-74. Rock and roll indeed 8-)

Lee