Re: [LAU] [LAD] First release of jkmeter

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 22:52:59 EEST

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 05:38:17PM +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

> I think the K-14 system might be more to my own taste.

When trying to get an idea of how jkmeter 'reacts',
be careful when using 'canned' music. This evening
I compared two signals:

1. A broadcast from the BBC proms, relayed live on
Italian radio,

2. A piano recital recording which I made some
weeks ago, without any processing or gain
adjustments.

For both I adjusted gains so that the loudest parts
of the music would indicate between 0 and +3dB on
the jkmeter RMS level, i.e. the 'yellow' range.
This is how you would normally use such a meter.

For 1, the softest parts where at around -10 dB, and
the maximum DPL was -9.4 dB.

For 2, the softest parts where at around -20 dB, and
the maximum DPL was -3.9 dB.

This indicates that 1. was already being processed,
both manually (by the recording engineer gently
boosting softer parts - you'd expect more than 10
dB dynamics for Beethoven's first), and by peak
limiting (again not very intrusive, but essential
for broadcast).

Ciao,

--
FA