Re: [LAU] Trying to get rid of xruns

From: garryo <garry.ogle@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 02:20:19 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 10:57:28PM +0100, garryo wrote:
>
>> you can set the rt priority as high as 99, but i found that this
>> made my box sluggish and unresponsive ( but not the soundcard!).
>
> Isn't that kind of strange ? Assuming the soundcard interrupt
> takes a tiny fraction of the available CPU time, it shouldn't
> slow down your system even at the highest priority.
>
> If this happens, and it does not happen with your current
> (lower) setting, wouldn't that mean that
>
> 1. it takes a more than trivial time to execute,
> 2. with the current setting it's still being
> pre-empted, and not just occasianally, but
> in a systematic way.
>
> Ciao,

yes, kind of strange, i see your point.
nevertheless this was the observed behaviour with ardour playing back a
project of 16 stereo tracks. the ardour gui was very jerky and slow to
update. reducing the rt priority of soundcard improved UI response,
BUT i must admit that i was not very systematic in my efforts to improve
latency on my box, often twiddling several knobs at once.

regards, G.